As Halloween draws closer, many of us find unhealthful treats haunting our neighborhoods, schools, and our kitchen pantries. Why not surprise your family and friends by introducing healthier Halloween treats this year? Not only will you be offering delicious flavors to your Halloween celebrations, but you will stand out with creative, tasty, and healthier options.
Try these 8 tricks as you treat your family and friends this Halloween.
- Celebrate with orange. Feature orange-colored fruits like cantaloupe, mangos, peaches, and citrus fruit in an orange Halloween fruit salad.
- Gobble green monster dip. Enjoy a warm, creamy dip with whole grain pita slices or veggies with this Creamy Spinach Feta Dip.
- Enjoy pumpkin treats. Try this “pumpkin pie in a glass” smoothie recipe that features canned pumpkin and wonderful spices.
- Take a “flight” of witch’s brews. Dunk chicken strips or fish sticks into homemade sauces and dips like cucumber dill dip, hummus, mustard, ketchup, and tartar sauce.
- Chill out with ghostly white parfaits. Enjoy this indulgent Banana Split Berry Yogurt Parfait. The white yogurt is “ghostly.
- Try orange Halloween nachos. Prepare nachos that replace salty chips with orange (for Halloween) sweet potatoes, like in this Sweet Potato Nachos recipe.
- Trick your trail mix. Boost your trick-or-treaters’ energy with whole grains, dried fruit, and nuts with this Take-a-Break Snack Mix.
- Offer a mummy’s wrap. Looking for a more substantial appetizer? Try this Kid-Friendly White Bean and Avocado Wrap. You can cut the wrap into bite-sized spirals for a crowd.
Serving up these healthy items before Halloween celebrations or activities (including trick-or-treating) can help fill you and the family up with healthier foods so everyone eats fewer unhealthful treats.
How will you offer healthier options this Halloween? Let us know with a comment!