We know there has been a lot of confusion recently about the science behind sodium reduction. While there are a lot of myths around sodium, at the AHA we know that a large group of scientific research shows lowering sodium intake lowers blood pressure in adults and children.
Science clearly supports the link between less sodium intake and healthier lives – even in children and teens. In fact, more than 30 well-respected nutrition scientists signed a Consensus Statement on Sodium Reduction in June 2014, concluding that “population-wide reduction of sodium intake is an integral approach to reducing cardiovascular disease events and mortality in the United States.”
The American Heart Association’s lifestyle guidelines that include advice for sodium consumption were developed after a review of 30 sodium studies and endorsed by these organizations:
- American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- American Pharmacists Association
- American Society for Nutrition
- American Society for Preventive Cardiology
- American Society of Hypertension
- Association of Black Cardiologists
- National Lipid Association
- Preventive Cardiovascular Nurses Association
- WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease
Stand with the science behind sodium reduction! Sign our petition today.